Gaborone from the top of Kgale Hill

Monday, January 24, 2011

January 6th, 2011

Most of the international students have arrived. The majority of them seem to be from America. All have a diverse array of interests and fields of study. Several studied at UB and other African countries last semester, and enjoyed their time so much they decided to extend their travels for another semester.

We had chicken hearts and a sort of biscuit for breakfast. Lunch and dinner were the same--some form of chicken and a starch. Fresh fruits and vegetables appear to be a rarity here.

Everyone in Botswana seems to be incredibly laid back. I never realized how stressed most Americans are. Whenever we voice questions or concerns, they tell us "Don't worry. You worry too much" and laugh. Several students still haven't gotten their luggage, and one girl began crying. The locals were amazed that someone could be so upset about the loss of material objets. Our orientation began very late today. The concept of time is very different here, and punctuality seems to be nonexistant. We are still unable to register for courses. It is funny that many of the American students are becoming stressed by the mentality here.

I went to a nearby mall today with several other students to get some supplies. Yet again I was amazed by how developed and westernized it was. The mall could have been in America. The most popular music, styles, movies, television shows, etc. are American. I find this startling and upsetting. I am realizing now that western culture has permeated everywhere. I think the world really is flattening.

Though everyone speaks English here, they speak in Setswana unless spoken to. I am having a difficult time pronouncing words and names. The pronunciation of our names proves to be equally difficult for the locals here, however.

I rode in the back of a pickup truck and traveled to the outskirts of the city with several students. Though Gaborone and the campus itself are incredibly developed, large economic disparities between the rich and the poor are very visible, especially when travelling further outside the city. According to one student I spoke to, Botswana has one of the largest economic disparities between its upper and lower classes in the world.

I talked to several local students today about the education system here. I learned that all students have their entire education paid for by the government, including college. Students also receive living stipends each month, and no students work if they are in school. They were amazed to learn that a college education is a fortune in America; they assumed everything was free and paid for as well. They were even more surprised to learn that health care isn't free in America.

I haven't yet my roommate yet. I am excited that I will be living with a local as opposed to another international student. I think it will make the experience more educational and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment