Gaborone from the top of Kgale Hill

Monday, January 24, 2011

January 10th, 2011

We finally received our printouts for our schedules today. I walked around the campus to figure out where my classes are. I am excited to begin lessons. I managed to avoid having classes on Friday, so I should have plenty of time to travel on weekends.

Though attempting to stay in the shade and wearing a great deal of sunscreen, I have not managed to avoid getting sunburned. My roommate finds "my turning pink" to be endlessly amusing. When first seeing my sunburn, she had no idea what had happened, and I then had to explain the concept of a sunburn.

Though many of the local  students have not come because they haven't received their stipends from the government, many have, and the campus seems suddenly flooded with students compared to the relative calm we have experienced over the last few days.

Two of our male international students have already been mugged. Walking back from a bar latte last night, they were stopped by two boys, cut, kicked, and chocked. They seemed to be okay this morning, but rather shaken up. They say they are staying however, despite their parents' protests. Though we feel safe here, it serves as a reminder that we are in fact targets for being mugged. I feel as though if I had grown up here in poverty it would be difficult not be racist. All of the white people I have come across are either rich or travelling, so it is assumed that all whites have a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment