Gaborone from the top of Kgale Hill

Monday, January 24, 2011

January 5th, 2011

I am finally in Gaborone and at the University of Botswana! I would  like to emphasize how safe I feel here, and with what hospitality and generosity I have been received. Waiting at the airport were two representatives from the International Office at UB. They greeted all the international students with enthusiasm, and drove us to the campus. On our way there, they told us Botswana is known for its cattle, its diamonds, and its hospitality. It certainly seems true. Surrounding the campus are gates, and at all entrances are security personnel. Though an open campus, allowing people to freely come in and out, there is security everywhere.

The city of Gaborone, the capital and largest city in Botswana, appears to be relatively small. Most of the country appears to be rural and covered in beautiful vegetation. I am amazed by how developed the city and campus is. The campus is as nice as many college campuses I have seen in the states. The people that I have encountered everywhere have been very friendly, and seem as interested in me as I am in them. All are curious as to whey I chose to study in Botswana.

 About 15,000 students study here. The women who greeted us informed us that there will be about 70 other international students coming as well. There are also about 400 students from nearly every African country studying here. It is very hot, and humid now because it is the rainy season. Last night it rained a great deal after it began to cool off.

We were taken to dinner in one of the cafeterias on campus after being shown our rooms. Two people to a room, and communal bathrooms with 12 people per bathroom. So far there is no toilet paper, but an endless supply of condoms.The dinner was mostly meat and starch, with pumpkin, chicken, rice, and mashed corn. After returning to our dorm, we were immediately greeted by several local students who chatted excitedly with us . They say they want to show us around the campus, and to take us outside of Gaborone to show us the "real Botswana." I am very optimistic about my stay here!

No comments:

Post a Comment