Gaborone from the top of Kgale Hill

Friday, March 25, 2011

February 5th, 2011


This past weekend I went camping with the Brotherhood, a student organization dedicated to serving the community and forming leaders for Botswana’s tomorrow. I was immediately awed by the African night sky. Never before have I seen such a spectacular and memorable night sky; I can only compare it to being in a planetarium. I met so many amazing people. We all cooked together and bried an entire pig over the course of the weekend they had slaughtered several hours before the trip began.
I met a linguistics major who take a great interest in the design on my skirt who has asked me to help complete her finger painting project for an art course. We had a wonderful discussion about the significance of painting without a brush.

The next morning we went to a nearby village and picked up trash for several hours. I am amazed that people littler so much here; it seems they don’t recognize the beauty of their own environment. I considered staying another night, but decided against it to get some rest On the trip back met a graduate student from Berundi who teaches children in his free time in nearby villages. I told him that this was something I was very interested in, and he agreed to take me to Gabane to join him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment