Gaborone from the top of Kgale Hill

Friday, March 25, 2011

February 16, 2011

This evening I attended a wonderful poetry reading. There was a power outage right before it began, but after waiting a while it was unanimously decided to proceed in the dark.  I was incredibly impressed with all the poets who performed. There was quite a diverse range in the styles, forms, and presentation. Several of the poets present had traveled around the world, one of which had spent some time in the States. I befriended one poet who I congratulated after her moving performance. She has invited me to Johannesburg, SA to stay with her for a while, and to introduce me to the poetry scene there. Though  all poets were incredibly talented, they were also very humble about their own work, and were filled with praise about the other poets present. I’m only now beginning to realize how much I will miss the poetry scene here after returning to the states. 

No comments:

Post a Comment